What to expect
Qualifications for membership require that the applicant be a graduate of an approved medical school, be legally licensed to practice in the State of Michigan, and have evidenced a special interest in colon and rectal surgery. All applicants must have graduated from an approved residency in colon and rectal surgery. Membership in the County Medical Society, American Medical Association, and the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons is desirable but not required.
Application for membership in the Society shall be presented in writing on the prescribed form, which states the qualifications and references of the applicant, and shall also signify his agreement to abide by the bylaws of the Society.
- The application for membership in the Society shall be referred to the Executive Council of the Society, who shall investigate the character, qualifications, and the standing of the applicant, and make a recommendation for disposition of the application to the members at the next regular Society meeting.
- Elections to membership shall be held at the regular meetings of the Society, with all members in good standing being entitled to vote. Balloting shall be by hand count, unless a majority of those present decide otherwise.
- A candidate for membership shall be declared elected upon the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the voting members present, and shall be so notified by the Secretary of the Society or other designated agent.
- The names of any candidates who fail to be elected may be resubmitted and reconsidered by the membership at any subsequent regular meeting of the Society.
- No newly elected member shall be entitled to the rights and privileges of membership until he has paid the annual dues as provided in Article XVI of these bylaws.